Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Nature of the Beast

More shopping is the plan for the day. I'm doing my best to help the economy. Well, Ben is doing his best to help the economy.

The week has been sweet so far. I don't want to leave. Ben is in a great mood, we're having fun, no sassy back talk and he even just took out the vacuum without any complaints.

The only drawback is every day he takes a shower, I have to wait an hour before I can. Not a drop of hot water left after that boy.

It occurred to me, as I was walking along the beach today, that as I feel my own body relax, the pulse of going going going slow down, the effects are seen in Ben. He draws on my energy far more than the other two.

The catch is how to keep it when we get home.

I know exactly what will happen the minute his brothers return from winter camp. There will be immediate competition for who had the best time, who did the best things. It never comes from Zachary and Jake. I'm not sure there is anything I can do to avert the clash.

Maybe a few more long talks over lunch will help. Maybe it's simply the nature of the beast. If life were always vacation, then I would never get anything done.

I certainly can't keep shopping.

For now, I'm going to savor every moment. Fill the memory banks with the way I know Ben can be. When the pressure of life pushes both of our buttons, I'll remember how he snarfed down all my coleslaw at the restaurant, walking on the beach with the dog together, and cuddling on the couch watching TV.

And breathe before I open my mouth.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

If life were always vacation, then I would never get anything done.

Ah -- but Life is a cabaret, 'ol chum!

Didn't you know?

1:01 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

savor every second...

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

it's a little surreal. he's out chopping the ice off the steps.

I didn't even ask him to.

whoa...

4:17 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

You folks sound like you're dangerously close to being happy.

I wish you more and more of those moments of happiness. And when they run out, life will make more.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great, so much better than you had hoped!enjoy every moment!

1:00 AM  
Blogger Monty said...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-mutchnick/where-did-you-get-them_b_168012.html

Even tho this little to do with your post. I thought it would be poignant considering a previous post on the same topic. I hope your enjoying your vacation.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home